Old Fort Niagara
The British occupation of North America has numerous reminders of the past and one of them is the Old Fort Niagara. The Old Fort was built way back in 1726 at the entrance to the Niagara River. The Fort served as a resting area for new troops and also served as a garrison for the wars which took place between the British, Americans and the French. The Fort also served as a base for military campaigns during periods of hostility.
Like most old British monuments, this stone masonry built Fort has a lot of features of old Victoria era Fortresses of the 16 and 17th Century. The Fort had good access to the nearby railroads and the sea.
Today, The Fort is a monument to the historic events that occurred nearly 300 years ago. It symbolizes the courage, valor, sacrifice and heroism of many who fought for Freedom.
The Fort was completely burnt down in the 18th century and has undergone numerous major reconstructions to restore it to its original glamour. In its relatively unspoiled setting on a bend of the Niagara River, the Fort survives as an authentic vestige of the past.
Administered by the New York State Park, the Old Fort has a number of historic structures, furnished rooms, museum exhibits, and even a bookstore. Interpretive programs, educational lectures, guided tours, and special events are offered throughout the year.
Tourists have been coming to this Fort for decades and each year the numbers are increasing, making it a very popular destination. Asides from the Fort, the surrounding scenery and rivers offer some of he best views of the natural landscape in the North.
The Fort is now operated by the New York State Office of Parks and located in Youngstown, NY. For more information one can call 716 745 7611